From: Douglas Russell <puggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] gpg signing of Manifests
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 15:00:56
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 ok. basically I'm trying to get a jump on the rest of portage to allow us
5 (through repoman) to get the tree populated with signed Manifests ready for
6 when portage is able to use them.
7
8 Their are several choices available for where the sigs will be, and various
9 advantages and disadvantages. I'm basically waiting to implement one of these
10 until a decision is made. It will then be ready in short order and ready to
11 use as soon as carpaski applies the patch against portage and commits it,
12 etc.
13
14 Choices:
15
16 a) Signing inline in current Manifest file.
17
18 Advantages
19 1) Low filestorage overhead in the short and long term
20
21 Disadvantages
22 1) Current versions of portage will be unable to parse these files
23 2) More difficult to parse and post than a seperate signature.
24
25 Overall
26 Basically (a) is an impossibility as it would require everyone to upgrade
27 portage before introuducing signing.
30 b) Signing inline in a new Manifest.asc file
31
32 Advantages
33 1) Gets around the problem of old/new portage as old portage will continue to
34 use the Manifest files and new portage will use the new signed Manifest.asc
35 files as soon as that "new" portage exists. The old Manifests can be phased
36 out after a time.
37 2) Increase in number of files in portage tree is only in the short term
38
39 Disadvantages
40 1) Increase in number of files in portage tree in the short term.
41 2) More difficult to parse and post than a seperate signature.
42
43 Overall
44 Possible, can be implemented now, best implementation from a portage tree size
45 point of view.
46
47 c) Detached Signing in a Manifest.asc file
48
49 Advantages
50 1) Gets around the problem of old/new portage as old portage will continue to
51 use the Manifest files and new portage will use the new signed Manifest.asc
52 in conjunction with the old Manifest files as soon as that portage exists.
53 2) Easy to parse and post, especially for uses such as grabbing the sigs for
54 posting on packages.gentoo.org
55
56 Disadvantages
57 1) Increase in number of files in portage tree in short and long term
58
59 Overall
60 Possible, can be implemented now, best implementation from a usability point
61 of view
62
63 ____________________________
64
65 Swift responses would be appreciated as I want to get this into repoman as
66 soon as possible so that at the very least, wary users can manually check
67 their Manifests signatures if they are worried. This will also enable the
68 rest of portage to use the signatures as soon as it is ready to use them.
69
70 Apologies for cross-posting this to -core but I thought everyone should be
71 aware of this issue seeing as it has been brought to all our attentions of
72 late. Please continue the discussion on gentoo-portage-dev@g.o list.
73
74 Puggy
85 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list