From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] two remarks on portage-2.0.51-r2
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:18:59
1 On 10/23/04 Pablo De Napoli wrote:
2
3 > 2) emerge ebuild by path
4 >
5 > Acording to the man page, this is broken, however it is the most
6 > obvious way to specify an ebuild, isn't it?
7 >
8 > Why is this feature broken, could anybody find out?
9
10 It never really worked. It did a lookup from the given filename in the
11 portage tree and converted the filename to a cpv entry (as most portage
12 functions only deal with cpv entries and not full filenames). This means
13 that in some situations portage used a different ebuild than you
14 specified.
15 It also had several side effects that aren't documented and caused bogus
16 bugreports.
17
18 > I think is very important to keep the quality of portage to the
19 > highest standards, so I suggest not to realese as stable a version
20 > with important features broken.
21
22 To keep the quality we added those warnings. These features (I don't
23 consider them important) were always broken, to fix them we'd have to
24 re-implement them completely and make several API changes.
25
26 Marius