From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Normaliser function for distfiles
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 13:22:54
1 On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM Markus Walter <lists@×××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:14:57 +0200,
4 > Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 1:37 PM Markus Walter <lists@×××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > My use case is the following: I would like to improve the gs-elpa program
9 > > > and provide a precomputed overlay for melpa. However the melpa distfiles are
10 > > > rebuilt everyday and cause checksum failures. However the only thing
11 > > > changing are the timestamps. Hence if a normaliser program could simply set
12 > > > all timestamps to some predefined value (say 1.1.1970) then this problem
13 > > > should vanish.
14 > > >
15 > >
16 > > Wouldn't a simpler solution be to just have an ebuild setting that
17 > > tells the package manager to not check the timestamp?
18 >
19 > The timestamps are inside archive files thus changing the overall file
20 > hash. This happens during distfile download, where some more sophisticated
21 > replace all timestamps function would be necessary than just ignoring one
22 > timestamp.
23
24 Ah, apologies. Totally missed that. Yeah, obviously if the
25 timestamps INSIDE the archive are changing your only solution is to
26 edit the contents. I thought it was just the external timestamp
27 changing (I'm not sure if portage even checks that, or if wget changes
28 the mtime on files it downloads).
31 Rich