From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:52:10
1 On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 01:34:24 -0700
2 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 3/14/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Friday 14 March 2008, Alec Warner wrote:
6 > > > On 3/14/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > i think the real solution here is allowing masking in a package
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > > You want to add a metadata key and cache it you mean?
13 > > i dont care terribly much about the logistics, just the results.
14 > > as long as an ebuild can declare itself masked, it sounds good to
15 > > me.
16 > >
17 > > this doesnt preclude the other ideas as there are often times
18 > > where you want to have 1 global package mask piece (like large
19 > > package set bumps ... so X or KDE or GNOME or ...).
20 > >
21 > > -mike
25 > [-gentoo-qa, +gentoo-portage-dev]
26 >
27 > Original thread was splitting up package.mask entries.
28 >
29 > Genone notes the code to do this already is basically in already (we
30 > just don't invoke it for $PORTDIR/profiles afaik).
31 >
32 > Genone, do we use existing code for package.mask (ie if we switch from
33 > a file to a dir will it break existing versions? I am unsure if we
34 > used the directory code for $PORTDIR/profiles/*
37 The handling code for all package.mask files is identical, in
38 particular they all support recursion (just search for "package.mask"
39 in portage/__init__.py).
40
41 Marius
46 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
47 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.