From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Signing off patches
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 23:25:09
1 On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:57:38PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:43:12 -0800 Trevor King wrote:
3 > > The body of the commit message should summarize the consensus
4 > > reached on the mailing list,
5 >
6 > That message is written as part of the patch that is reviewed; it
7 > rarely gets updated with the consensus, unless we suggest / require
8 > people to do that. However, similar to vapier's response, I'd think
9 > introducing such processes feel like unnecessary efforts.
10
11 If it doesn't need to get updated, then it probably already started
12 out explaining the consensus ;).
13
14 > > and these tags are basically standardized thank-you notes crediting
15 > > non-authors who were involved in that process. They don't have to go
16 > > on every patch, but if you want to mention somebody:
17 > >
18 > > Reviewed-by: Random J Developer <random@×××××××××××××××××.org>
19 > > Reviewed-by: Other R Developer <other@×××××××××××××××××.org>
20 > >
21 > > at the end of the commit message is easier to write and read than:
22 > >
23 > > This patch was reviewed Random J Developer
24 > > <random@×××××××××××××××××.org> and Other R Developer
25 > > <other@×××××××××××××××××.org>.
26 >
27 > Exactly: Do we want to spend time on this or not? Do we add everyone
28 > involved? Or do we just add people whom are not on the Portage team?
29
30 You spend time if you want to spend time and add whoever you feel
31 moved to add. I think the spirit of Alexander's original proposal [1]
32 was “here is a common syntax for crediting collaborators, we might
33 want to use it” not “ye non-conformers will be hounded unto the ends
34 of the Earth”. If you are submitting v2 of a patch, and feel a desire
35 to credit reviewers / testers with this syntax, I think that's
36 considerate of you. If you are committing someone else's patch to
37 master, and want to record the folks who acked it on the list to
38 distribute responsibility, that's fine too. If you want to use
39 another syntax, or not do any of this at all, it's still fine by me
40 ;). However, if a consistent syntax already exists, I see no reason
41 not to use it when it suits your purpose.
42
43 > Unless we intend to introduce this for statistics, although I think
44 > that prior annotation history missing as well as people that will
45 > casually forgot to add these annotations will make the statistics a
46 > misrepresentation.
47
48 I agree that statistics based on these tags are not meaningful.
49
50 Cheers,
51 Trevor
52