From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: wking@×××××××.us
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Signing off patches
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 01:34:10
1 On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:24:59 -0800
2 "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
3
4 > If it doesn't need to get updated, then it probably already started
5 > out explaining the consensus ;).
6
7 That is a guess, you can look this up in past patches.
8
9 > You spend time if you want to spend time and add whoever you feel
10 > moved to add.
11
12 We discuss whether to make it policy to add involved people.
13
14 > I think the spirit of Alexander's original proposal [1]
15 > was “here is a common syntax for crediting collaborators, we might
16 > want to use it” not “ye non-conformers will be hounded unto the ends
17 > of the Earth”.
18
19 Alexander is clear that best practices could be followed and that it is
20 a proposal, note the use of the particular words "should be"; discussing
21 spirits is more appropriate in another place than this mailing list.
22
23 > If you are submitting v2 of a patch, and feel a desire
24 > to credit reviewers / testers with this syntax, I think that's
25 > considerate of you. If you are committing someone else's patch to
26 > master, and want to record the folks who acked it on the list to
27 > distribute responsibility, that's fine too. If you want to use
28 > another syntax, or not do any of this at all, it's still fine by me
29 > ;). However, if a consistent syntax already exists, I see no reason
30 > not to use it when it suits your purpose.
31
32 We discuss here whether to make it policy to use the same syntax.
35 With kind regards,
36
37 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
38 Gentoo Developer
39
40 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
41 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
42 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D