From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: xed@×××.ch
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: emaint
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:51:55
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 June 2006 18:38, you wrote:
3 >> The man page says you're the author (of the man page anyway) of
4 >> emaint. I don't quite understand this utility.
5 >
6 > i just usually write all the man pages
7 >
8 >> I've noticed that emerge now has something called a "set" of which
9 >> "world" is such a thing. This is a relatively recent change
10 >> (not in documentation for emerge 2.0.51.22-r3).
11 >
12 > not really, portage has always had "sets" ... the "world" and "system" sets
15 I made the doc change a while ago to reflect this, but it probably
16 didn't get released until 2.1
17
18 >> But even in the latest `man emerge`, this is still mentioned:
19 >> /var/lib/portage/world
20 >> Contains a list of all user-specified packages. You can safely
21 >> edit this file, adding packages that you want to be considered
22 >> in world set updates and removing those that you do not want
23 >> to be considered.
24 >>
25 >> So my question is, if I can edit it like it says I can, why should it
26 >> complain when I do something like this?:
27 >
28 > dunno, i wasnt part of decision making for said change
31 We need to change the docs then; I don't think it's meant to be safely
32 edited; moreso it's meant to be edited with care when the corner cases
33 where that is needed are present.
34 --
35 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list