From: andrea ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:07:57
1 Roman Gaufman wrote:
2
3 >>You're a very patient person, or your offline machine is at least
4 >>a 4 3Ghz Xeon with 4 GB RAM, or you never compiled something like
5 >>X and/or OpenOffice and some other nice little things ;-) .
8 > 800mhz with 256Mb ram -- why do I need a 100% up to date system? -- so
9 > X takes about 4 hours to compile, so what? -- what difference does it
10 > make?
11
12 I think almost no one and also for OpenOffice if the box hasn't better
13 things to do. I thought that the times were worse than which ones you
14 reported for such machine.
15
16 >>It is that what you're describing is a lucky, but I fear uncommon,
17 >>situation: you can afford a plus machine and you don't have different
18 >>machines and machines types to compile for.
21 > First of all, you can setup distcc, and have a bunch of 200mhz offline
22 > machines get anything compiled reasonably fast. But is 800mhz really a
23 > "plus machine" -- lets be realistic here...
24
25 Yes, a 800 Mhz with 256 MB is not a "plus machine"
26
27 >>I think that a common
28 >>situation, with different machines and machine types and production
29 >>machines, require a big overhead either in CPU load, either to schedule,
30 >>monitor and manage the compilations for not suffering for such CPU load
31 >>increase.
34 > Just get 1 offline machine to do that, and stick the packages on a
35 > shared package repository. Whats the problem? -- it only has to be
36 > once for a network.
37
38 If you have 2-3 architectures (x86, PPC ..., 32 and 64 bits) and/or 2-3
39 machine types (AMD, Intel, PIII, Celeron, Xeon) to get one binary
40 packages for all the machines you have to compile the same thing many
41 times, one for each architecture and machine type and then you have more
42 trouble to manage the binaries and their installations (it is, b.e. you
43 have to share them in different path and to install from different path
44 from each different machine).
45
46 > Again, I only have gcc on 1 machine, and no matter how slow that
47 > machine is, it gets thing compiled anyway. With ccache, updates take
48 > conciderably less time and 90% of the stuff I compile on it, gets
49 > compiled in less than an hour.
50 >
51 > Whatever takes longer than an hour isnt a problem either since its
52 > compiled once and distributed as a binary package to all machines.
53
54 I can't disagree too hardly, because I made the same thing ;-)
55
56 Andrea
59 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list