From: Roman Gaufman <hackeron@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:47:23
1 On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:44:32 +0200, andrea ferraris
2 <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it> wrote:
3 > You're a very patient person, or your offline machine is at least
4 > a 4 3Ghz Xeon with 4 GB RAM, or you never compiled something like
5 > X and/or OpenOffice and some other nice little things ;-) .
6
7 800mhz with 256Mb ram -- why do I need a 100% up to date system? -- so
8 X takes about 4 hours to compile, so what? -- what difference does it
9 make?
10
11 > It is that what you're describing is a lucky, but I fear uncommon,
12 > situation: you can afford a plus machine and you don't have different
13 > machines and machines types to compile for.
14
15 First of all, you can setup distcc, and have a bunch of 200mhz offline
16 machines get anything compiled reasonably fast. But is 800mhz really a
17 "plus machine" -- lets be realistic here...
18
19 > I think that a common
20 > situation, with different machines and machine types and production
21 > machines, require a big overhead either in CPU load, either to schedule,
22 > monitor and manage the compilations for not suffering for such CPU load
23 > increase.
24
25 Just get 1 offline machine to do that, and stick the packages on a
26 shared package repository. Whats the problem? -- it only has to be
27 once for a network.
28
29 > I made what you're describing, but also in my case, with the same
30 > machines and machine types and the CPU load increase was not a concern.
31 > I think that in most cases, with a smart monitoring, scheduling and
32 > managing and with ccache and distcc you can get the target also in more
33 > common situations without performance degradation in the business
34 > services offered by the machines, but there are concerns either for
35 > security (gcc installed everywhere to have distcc working) and the work
36 > for managing monitoring, scheduling and control the CPU load and network
37 > traffic increase.
38 Again, I only have gcc on 1 machine, and no matter how slow that
39 machine is, it gets thing compiled anyway. With ccache, updates take
40 conciderably less time and 90% of the stuff I compile on it, gets
41 compiled in less than an hour.
42
43 Whatever takes longer than an hour isnt a problem either since its
44 compiled once and distributed as a binary package to all machines.
47 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list