From: andrea ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:45:44
1 Roman Gaufman wrote:
2
3 > Personally, I find binary packages on gentoo perfect for my use. I
4 > have several computers on the network, all running gentoo with no gcc
5 > or any header files. I then have an offline machine that gets
6 > everything compiled and put on a shared /usr/portage for all the
7 > machines to just emerge -k simultaneously.
8 >
9 > That way when I emerge something, I can review the config files, add
10 > some custom options and some fancy polish and quickpkg will bundle
11 > everything together all pre-configured.
12
13 You're a very patient person, or your offline machine is at least
14 a 4 3Ghz Xeon with 4 GB RAM, or you never compiled something like
15 X and/or OpenOffice and some other nice little things ;-) .
16 It is that what you're describing is a lucky, but I fear uncommon,
17 situation: you can afford a plus machine and you don't have different
18 machines and machines types to compile for. I think that a common
19 situation, with different machines and machine types and production
20 machines, require a big overhead either in CPU load, either to schedule,
21 monitor and manage the compilations for not suffering for such CPU load
22 increase.
23 I made what you're describing, but also in my case, with the same
24 machines and machine types and the CPU load increase was not a concern.
25 I think that in most cases, with a smart monitoring, scheduling and
26 managing and with ccache and distcc you can get the target also in more
27 common situations without performance degradation in the business
28 services offered by the machines, but there are concerns either for
29 security (gcc installed everywhere to have distcc working) and the work
30 for managing monitoring, scheduling and control the CPU load and network
31 traffic increase.
32
33 Sorry for the beastly English, but I can write a worst French and also a
34 very bad Italian ;-)
35
36 Andrea
39 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list