From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Deprecating 'emerge action' syntax
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:57:39
1 On Thursday 16 February 2006 20:31, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Right now 'emerge action' and 'emerge --action' are both supported. But
3 > as we learned with the rsync case 'emerge action' has potential
4 > namespace conflicts with 'emerge package' I'd propose to deprecate
5 > 'emerge action' before we hit another real conflict.
6 > (The alternative would be to deprecate 'emerge package' in favor of a
7 > to-be-written 'emerge install <package>', but that's even more
8 > problematic)
9 > Technically it's a no-brainer, only potential problem would be user
10 > confusion.
11 > Any objections against this for pre5?
12
13 If by "deprecate" you mean to detect when '--' hasn't been prepended and
14 either go ahead with the action or notify that the package doesn't exist
15 then I have no objections. Might be better to go with the latter so that
16 users adjust quickly.
17
18 """
19 Actions specified without a '--' prefix is no longer supported.
20 Please use --update instead.
21
22 emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "update".
23 """
24
25 Doing it that way will show exactly why it's being dropped without the
26 need for a written explanation (and hopefully no bug about how it's a
27 terrible usability regression).
30 Jason Stubbs
31 --
32 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list