From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:35:03
1 On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 08:31:26AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/27/05 Brian Harring wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hola.
5 > >
6 > > Attached is a patch that
7 > > A) adds EAPI awareness to portage; mainly, if >0, complain and be
8 > > unwilling to merge the package
9 >
10 > Actually I just wrote also a patch for it (for 2.1), however instead of
11 > complaining I just masked them (without unmask ability), just add a
12 > check to gvisible() and getmaskingstatus() (actually just calling
13 > dbapi.eapicheck()). That way it should be more transparent to users IMO.
14 > Won't stop people from using ebuild(1) though.
15 Masking makes a bit more sense, 'cept that information needs to be
16 dumped out when resolution cannot occur.
17
18 Further, it's a mild gotcha for users who wonder wth portage is
19 masking a node.
20
21 Better approach imo though, and would like to see that implemented
22 rather then what I did with the stable patch.
23
24 Incremental'ing EAPI during inherit is a no go; EAPI1 and
25 EAPI0 are incompatible for execution, due to the src_compile
26 configure/make breakup.
27
28 Somebody care to split a masking patch for stable rather then the
29 emerge modifications I did btw? I'm poking at ensuring an eapi=0
30 portage's generated eapi=1 cache entries are not used by an eapi=1
31 portage without a forced regeneration atm.
32
33 That and the fact the 2.1 state should be decided, if we're going to
34 have (effectively) two branches of development going at once, vs
35 developmental line and maintenance branch.
36 ~harring