From: capitalista <capitalista@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Bugzilla Bug 112779: New and Improved Way to Handle /etc/portage
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:59:37
1 On 11/19/05, Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > That would clutter /etc/portage. The includes subdirectory separates the includes from things like /etc/portage/{profiles,modules}.
3
4 Well, I just posed that question because of ferringb's complaints
5 about configurations in two different directories. I could care less
6 really.
7
8 > A "source" command would provide most of the same abilities as the directory path based approach. It wouldn't allow files to be grouped in the same way but I'm not sure how useful that ability would be.
9
10 The file grouping would be excellent in the sense that you could tar
11 up a directory and make it available for others people to use, and all
12 you would need to do is extract it to /etc/portage/includes.
13
14 > I think that I would be happy with a "source" command. For example, you could have a package.unmask.kde file somewhere and then source that file inside /etc/portage/package.unmask.
15
16 I'd be happier if, pending you indeed went the source route, you'd
17 source directories and not files. You could have another file that
18 would contain info on the other directories, or maybe put in a
19 variable in make.conf like PORTDIR_OVERLAY, creating
20 /etc/portage/includes style functionality anywhere. Still, a source
21 command just seems like more of a hassle than it needs to be for the
22 end user.
25 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list