From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Plan for initial integration of gemato with portage
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:54:51
1 On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:56 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi, everyone.
4 >
5 > Since the initial review of my patch lost focus, and lacked sufficient
6 > context, here's the plan that I'd like to follow in order to initially
7 > integrate gemato with portage and give our users secure checkouts by
8 > default.
9 >
10 > 1. Add postsync hook to Portage git. Eventually, it will be replaced by
11 > direct Portage support.
14 > 2. Add IUSE=+rsync-verify to portage-9999 that controls installing the
15 > hook. This will give users the ability to easily disable it without jumping
16 > through cross package hoops.
19 I think it makes sense to avoid installing the hook through this means
20 (e.g. I don't want it, so I set USE=-rsync-verify)
21
22 I think its a bit trickier to control the hook's behavior. For instance:
23
24 1) I install portage[rsync-verify]. This installs the hook.
25 2) I end up not liking the hook, I install portage[-rsync-verify]
26 3) Does the hook get config-protected here?
27 4) I run emerge --depclean # gemato is un-merged here.
28
29 Now the hook fails because gemato is gone but the hook remains due to
30 config-protect?
31
32 5) I run etc-update and the hook is deleted; I don't recall etc-update
33 deleting files...
34
35 So basically I'm curious how the hook works w/config-protect; but
36 admittedly its been a while since I worried about such things so I could be
37 wrong.
38
39 Other considerations include:
40
41 1) Hooks don't matter anyway, so we may not care if it breaks.
42 2) Verification doesn't matter currently (portage will install software
43 regardless), so we may not care if it doesn't function.
47 > 3. Submit a news item for review that will explain how to initially verify
48 > the keys on existing installations.
49 >
50 > The news item would be published when the hook hits a release.
51 >
52 > What do you think? If you agree, then I'll start writing the news item.
55 The other part of the user story I don't understand is what actions should
56 users take when verification legit fails?
57
58 1) file a bug?
59 2) re-sync their tree?
60 3) something else?