From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Plan for initial integration of gemato with portage
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:59:01
1 W dniu śro, 24.01.2018 o godzinie 12∶54 -0500, użytkownik Alec Warner
2 napisał:
3 > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:56 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi, everyone.
6 > >
7 > > Since the initial review of my patch lost focus, and lacked sufficient
8 > > context, here's the plan that I'd like to follow in order to initially
9 > > integrate gemato with portage and give our users secure checkouts by
10 > > default.
11 > >
12 > > 1. Add postsync hook to Portage git. Eventually, it will be replaced by
13 > > direct Portage support.
14 > >
15 > > 2. Add IUSE=+rsync-verify to portage-9999 that controls installing the
16 > > hook. This will give users the ability to easily disable it without jumping
17 > > through cross package hoops.
20 > I think it makes sense to avoid installing the hook through this means
21 > (e.g. I don't want it, so I set USE=-rsync-verify)
22 >
23 > I think its a bit trickier to control the hook's behavior. For instance:
24 >
25 > 1) I install portage[rsync-verify]. This installs the hook.
26 > 2) I end up not liking the hook, I install portage[-rsync-verify]
27 > 3) Does the hook get config-protected here?
28
29 Keeping config-protected files applies only if the file were modified.
30 In this case it just gets unmerged. I've just verified that.
31
32 > > 3. Submit a news item for review that will explain how to initially verify
33 > > the keys on existing installations.
34 > >
35 > > The news item would be published when the hook hits a release.
36 > >
37 > > What do you think? If you agree, then I'll start writing the news item.
40 > The other part of the user story I don't understand is what actions should
41 > users take when verification legit fails?
42 >
43 > 1) file a bug?
44 > 2) re-sync their tree?
45 > 3) something else?
46
47 I'd say one re-sync would be reasonable in case it could have been some
48 rsync glitch. Beyond that, it would definitely be worth reporting...
49 except the user will probably hit another mirror.
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny