From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Plan for initial integration of gemato with portage
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 23:54:15
1 Michał Górny posted on Wed, 24 Jan 2018 20:58:54 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > W dniu śro, 24.01.2018 o godzinie 12∶54 -0500, użytkownik Alec Warner
4 > napisał:
5 >>
6 >> I think its a bit trickier to control the hook's behavior. For
7 >> instance:
8 >>
9 >> 1) I install portage[rsync-verify]. This installs the hook.
10 >> 2) I end up not liking the hook, I install portage[-rsync-verify]
11 >> 3) Does the hook get config-protected here?
12 >
13 > Keeping config-protected files applies only if the file were modified.
14 > In this case it just gets unmerged. I've just verified that.
15
16 That's controlled by FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified . Granted,
17 that's enabled by default, but config-protecting unmodified files as well
18 is definitely a user option that should be considered, even if that
19 consideration is simply "users disabling the default get to keep the
20 pieces".
21
22 Meanwhile, if it's "you keep the pieces if you've messed with the
23 default", that should at least be mentioned in the news item[1], so users
24 can consider whether the risk is worth it if they've had that feature
25 specifically disabled previously.
26
27 ---
28 [1] New item mention: or the more detailed instructions the news item
29 points to if they get too long to be in the news item itself.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman