From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 04:07:04
1 On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Nicholas Jones wrote:
2 >> skipit: Emerde allows you to skip to the next merge with the
3 >> SIGINT signal or by pressing CTRL+c.
4 >
5 > This probably isn't a good idea. It's liable to break 'automatic'
6 > configurations that the ebuild expects to be satisfied in a
7 > particular way. Do you use this often?
8
9 If done properly, this would be very useful. By properly, I mean that
10 aborting a dependency would abort all following packages that depended
11 upon this. If all remaining packages are dependent upon it, this is no
12 change from the current behavior. However, if many packages are
13 specified on the command-line, this is unlikely for the first
14 interruption (of course, if that's on glibc, it becomes much more
15 likely.)
16
17 Note that the ideal solution would not abort a future package if the
18 package directly aborted is a reinstall or upgrade, and the already
19 installed version satisfies the dependency of the future package.
20
21 Of course, it sounds like he didn't do this, from his responses to
22 questions about this item. I believe that it'd require a fair amount of
23 work to pull it off efficiently.
24
25 Ed
28 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list