From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] New emerge --mindeps option for exclusion of build time dependencies (bug #132355)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:58:09
1 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > The attached patch for bug #132355 [1] adds a --mindeps option for
3 > emerge that effectively allows build time dependencies to be excluded
4 > from dependency calculations involving binary and installed packages.
5 > With this patch, it's possible to remove all build time dependencies
6 > from a system with the command `emerge --depclean --mindeps`. When
7 > --mindeps is used to install packages, it causes build time
8 > dependencies to be excluded for binary packages and packages that are
9 > already installed.
10
11 Consider this a suggestion disguised as a question: why not make that
12 the overall default instead of enabled with a command-line switch? It
13 makes sense. "Don't install the packages that aren't needed." Simple.
16 I used to think romantic love was a neurosis shared by two, a supreme
17 foolishness. I no longer thought that. There's nothing foolish in
18 loving anyone. Thinking you'll be loved in return is what's foolish.
19 -- Rita Mae Brown