From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:53:50
1 On Thursday 28 October 2004 3:13 pm, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hrm ... I haven't made any comment on self-configuring web applications.
3
4 "We know that webapp-config needs improvements, especially in the area of
5 auto-configuring web-based apps."
8 > > In addition, some web applications will download their own source files
9 > > on demand and update themselves on demand, in a manner similar to
10 > > Portage. webapp-config would be completely unsuitable for these
11 > > applications.
12 >
13 > And so is Portage ;-)
14 >
15 > Until UPSTREAM apps play nicely, this will always be a problem with any
16 > tool that anyone writes. And UPSTREAM can't play nicely until there's a
17 > tool to play nicely with.
18
19 And in the case of the above, the tip of a sword is as close to playing nicely
20 as those applications will come.
21
22 *sighs at his application frameworks*
25 > > In these cases, additional backend configuration is necessary
26 >
27 > The next version of webapp-config will be able to handle that sort of
28 > configuration too. We need to provide a tool to do it; we can't expect all
29 > of our users to have the skills to secure a PHP app by hand.
30
31 I personally would not trust webapp-config to reconfigure my web server or
32 modify web service configuration files, especially considering that I
33 replaced the stock configurations with my own as soon as I installed Apache.
34 How would you implement an automatic open_basedir restriction in PHP, after a
35 web application was installed? I certainly wouldn't want my Apache processes
36 receiving a SIGHUP after every software installation to reload the
37 configuration, which is the only place open_basedir may be altered.
38
39 Compounding the problem, many scripts heavily modify the PHP runtime
40 configuration directives: how would an automated tool be able to factor in
41 all the necessary information for every web application? This doesn't seem
42 realistic.
43
44 IMHO, an automated tool would never be suitable for securing a web
45 environment, composed of a non-homogeneous solution of different
46 applications. I simply don't see how it's possible to secure against every
47 possible method of script exploitation (or even a marginal majority) for
48 every web language (or even one web language), without knowing the specific
49 workings of the scripts in question.
50
51 As an "upstream provider," I would also never waste my time providing the
52 specifications to any tool designed for such purposes.
53
54 I can take the necessary steps to reasonably secure my web services and can
55 provide information that would instruct others on how to do the same, however
56 there is no way I could explain every possible combination of every possible
57 scenario to every possible user on every possible configuration. It doesn't
58 make sense, it's not practical and it's not feasible; the same applies for a
59 unified "secure-it" tool, regardless of how idealistic the principle of its
60 creation.
63 > > webapp-config should be completely oblivious to this, as these safeguards
64 > > would obviously beyond the scope of the program; however, it should
65 > > support the functionality if it is required.
66 >
67 > Why 'obviously' beyond the scope?
68
69 See the above.
72 > Every web-based app installed on practically every platform out there is
73 > hampered by the limited capabilities of package managers and current
74 > automated installers.
75 >
76 > We're going to have to get there a step at a time, but I think it's worth
77 > the effort.
78
79 Is it? A large number of hosting providers do not even allow their clients to
80 access a shell console, nevermind Portage derivatives. In the same way, I
81 would never allow one of my -client's- web applications to have any influence
82 whatsoever on the operations of -my- web server. Most websites have no
83 concept of a package manager, in the traditional sense: this is why my web
84 applications provide their own means of filesystem management and software
85 updates. At present, the only viable package management system I see for web
86 applications is one they provide themselves.
89 > Take a look at /etc/vhosts/webapp-config and the man page for
90 > webapp-config.5. The support you need is there. I don't run any of own
91 > sites from /var/www.
92
93 Thanks for the clarification.
96 > 'localhost' *is* currently hard-coded as the hostname that an app is
97 > installed into when USE=-vhosts. This is something we can change.
98
99 Please feel free :)
103 Anthony Gorecki
104 Ectro-Linux Foundation