From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:13:15
1 On Thursday 28 October 2004 22:48, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > I concur with Wendall's decision; I don't use it because I've found that it
3 > creates -more- work than manually installing web applications. See your
4 > comment on self-configuring web applications.
5
6 Hrm ... I haven't made any comment on self-configuring web applications.
7
8 > In addition, some web applications will download their own source files on
9 > demand and update themselves on demand, in a manner similar to Portage.
10 > webapp-config would be completely unsuitable for these applications.
11
12 And so is Portage ;-)
13
14 Until UPSTREAM apps play nicely, this will always be a problem with any tool
15 that anyone writes. And UPSTREAM can't play nicely until there's a tool to
16 play nicely with.
17
18 > As a second addition to the above, and in response to "Web applications
19 > should not be owned by the same user as the web server," some web
20 > applications -should- and are -designed and required- to be owned by the
21 > web server's user.
22
23 webapp-config copes with this just fine; Portage cannot. It also allows you
24 to have application config files owned by a different shell user if you need.
25
26 We're also looking at adding support for alternative MPM's for Apache 2, so
27 that individual websites can be wholy owned by a single shell account, for
28 added security.
29
30 > In these cases, additional backend configuration is necessary to protect
31 > websites from unauthorized access (PHP's open_basedir, for example),
32 > however this would be soley the responsibility of web host and the script.
33
34 The next version of webapp-config will be able to handle that sort of
35 configuration too. We need to provide a tool to do it; we can't expect all
36 of our users to have the skills to secure a PHP app by hand.
37
38 > webapp-config should be completely oblivious to this, as these safeguards
39 > would obviously beyond the scope of the program; however, it should support
40 > the functionality if it is required.
41
42 Why 'obviously' beyond the scope?
43
44 Every web-based app installed on practically every platform out there is
45 hampered by the limited capabilities of package managers and current
46 automated installers.
47
48 We're going to have to get there a step at a time, but I think it's worth the
49 effort.
50
51 > If the vhost flag is not set, is there a way to alter the install location
52 > from /var/www/localhost? If there isn't, why isn't there? I haven't had a
53 > chance to look through all of the software resources for this program,
54 > though I haven't seen anything helpful this far.
55
56 Take a look at /etc/vhosts/webapp-config and the man page for webapp-config.5.
57 The support you need is there. I don't run any of own sites from /var/www.
58
59 'localhost' *is* currently hard-coded as the hostname that an app is installed
60 into when USE=-vhosts. This is something we can change.
61
62 Best regards,
63 Stu
64 --
65 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
66 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
67 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
68
69 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
70 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
74 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list