From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:50:01
1 On Thursday 28 October 2004 2:13 pm, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 October 2004 21:34, Wendall Cada wrote:
3 > > I use a virual hosting environment, and do not want to use or enable
4 > > webapp-config.
5 >
6 > I respect your decision to choose not to use webapp-config. Is there any
7 > particular reason why you don't want to use webapp-config?
8
9 I concur with Wendall's decision; I don't use it because I've found that it
10 creates -more- work than manually installing web applications. See your
11 comment on self-configuring web applications.
14 In addition, some web applications will download their own source files on
15 demand and update themselves on demand, in a manner similar to Portage.
16 webapp-config would be completely unsuitable for these applications.
19 As a second addition to the above, and in response to "Web applications should
20 not be owned by the same user as the web server," some web applications
21 -should- and are -designed and required- to be owned by the web server's
22 user.
23
24 An example of the aforementioned web application would be one that is also
25 responsible for managing the entire file hierarchy of a website: it must be
26 able to do so without any additional file ownership work-arounds (using FTP
27 to update the website is not acceptable).
28
29 In these cases, additional backend configuration is necessary to protect
30 websites from unauthorized access (PHP's open_basedir, for example), however
31 this would be soley the responsibility of web host and the script.
32 webapp-config should be completely oblivious to this, as these safeguards
33 would obviously beyond the scope of the program; however, it should support
34 the functionality if it is required.
37 > At the moment, webapp-config is used whether or not you're using a virtual
38 > hosting environment. The only difference is that webapp-config isn't
39 > automatically executed if you have the 'vhosts' USE flag set.
40
41 If the vhost flag is not set, is there a way to alter the install location
42 from /var/www/localhost? If there isn't, why isn't there? I haven't had a
43 chance to look through all of the software resources for this program, though
44 I haven't seen anything helpful this far.
48 Anthony Gorecki
49 Ectro-Linux Foundation