From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] webapp-config and webapps
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:13:44
1 (Thanks to Paul for pointing me to this discussion)
2
3 On Thursday 28 October 2004 21:34, Wendall Cada wrote:
4 > I use a virual hosting environment, and do not want to use or enable
5 > webapp-config.
6
7 I respect your decision to choose not to use webapp-config. Is there any
8 particular reason why you don't want to use webapp-config?
9
10 > I also don't think that it is a good criteria to base the
11 > use of the tool from.
12
13 What criteria would you prefer?
14
15 At the moment, webapp-config is used whether or not you're using a virtual
16 hosting environment. The only difference is that webapp-config isn't
17 automatically executed if you have the 'vhosts' USE flag set.
18
19 > I have not found a way to disable it.
20
21 There currently isn't a way. It's certainly something I could make possible
22 though.
23
24 > As soon as
25 > all webapps were converted over to it, I have had to use it or nothing.
26 > I think it should be setup by the user if they need the functionality
27 > and left out by default if not.
28
29 If we leave it out, then we're back to the bad old days of Portage being
30 unable to install (and especially!) upgrade web-based applications.
31
32 This doesn't seem to be the best way to serve the majority of our users.
33
34 We know that webapp-config needs improvements, especially in the area of
35 auto-configuring web-based apps. Those improvements will be available
36 through Portage once they are ready. We could always use extra help ;-)
37
38 > Let portage do the job it was designed
39 > for and toolkits to do the jobs they were designed for.
40
41 webapp-config was introduced specifically *because* Portage can't install a
42 web-based application on its own. And it can't upgrade a web-based app on
43 its own either. These problems are well documented in GLEP 11
44 (http://glep.gentoo.org) and the references it cites.
45
46 Our goal in Gentoo is for packages to work after installation without
47 requiring manual configuration. We can't do that with Portage alone.
48
49 We could fold the code into Portage, but it would still have to work the same
50 way. The whole point of installing the code into /usr/share/webapps is to
51 vastly reduce wasted disk space on servers which need to host more than one
52 copy of the app.
53
54 Best regards,
55 Stu
56 --
57 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
58 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
59 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
60
61 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
62 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
66 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list