From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:40:15
1 On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 03:01:12AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:48:26 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | > The sensible place to start experimenting is by adapting existing
5 > | > ebuilds and tinkering with ebuild.sh, not by adding something which
6 > | > may or may not end up being relevant to portage proper.
7 > |
8 > | Bluntly, what the hell do you think we're talking about here? In
9 > | case you haven't caught on, there *are* portage modifications that
10 > | have to go with it, meaning more then ebuild.sh.
11 >
12 <snip lots of "you're doing something I think is dumb/I don't
13 agree/slams at pvdabeel/lv/others who have attempted things in the tree">
14
15 Clarification of two things.
16
17 First- this is external, including the patch. So comparing it to
18 attempts that were done in a live tree is a bit of
19 intentional bullshit/rhetoric.
20
21 The entire intention of this is to work it out, *outside* of the tree,
22 something those involved know. You seem to be out of the loop, not
23 surprising considering your attitude towards this whole attempt.
24
25 Second- Not having a clue about what the full set of modifications are
26 going to be until you solve the ebuild side of it is *exactly* why
27 people have to jump in and actually test the damn thing. You can solve
28 as much of it up front as you know will be an issue, testing will reveal the
29 additional issues. Under your suggested route, nothing is
30 accomplished (potentially the reason you're suggesting all issues up
31 front be addressed regardless of whether or not if they'll actually
32 _be_ issues).
33
34 What you're offering as a proposed/sane route is a route that produces
35 nothing due to the fact you think everything must be solved up front,
36 regardless if it turns out to be an issue or not (let alone
37 identifying everything that may or may not be an issue) . Get the
38 basic portage support up, they iron out the base mods initially needed,
39 and jump in and identify the bugs that crop up further.
40
41 Essentially, lets see how well this actually works out, rather then
42 listening to you run your mouth about how it's a bad idea whenever it
43 comes up, and all of these things will be issues (/bin/sh usage isn't
44 an issue for the initial test target of osx).
45
46 Either way, they're doing the work, you aren't, and you really don't
47 have *any* say over their efforts until they finalize a solution
48 and bring it to *devs* (not just you) for merging into mainline.
49
50 So bluntly, shut up and let those who you think are being retarded,
51 be retarded. Discussions on this list regarding those attempts
52 shouldn't be heckled unless you're contributing to those efforts (and
53 I truly mean *contributing*, not trying to punch holes in embryonic
54 efforts that are trying to get off the ground addressing the major
55 issues up front).
56
57 Regardless, your points (repeatedly restated in the varying forms)
58 have been noted, and those who are interested have no reason to not
59 move forward with ironing out an implementation, and testing it.
60
61 I suggest you sit quietly and let them do their work, rather then
62 riding their asses.
63
64 You might be surprised at what they come up with.
65
66 If/When they push for inclusion, the merits of their efforts their
67 solution (and outstanding issues) will be evaluated then. Back
68 off and let them do their work, it's not affecting you in anyway, so
69 again, you really don't have any say in it till they push for
70 mainline.
71
72 So... yeah. I'll post the prefix support backport patch once it's
73 done, few days I'd expect since there is a fair amount of autotooling
74 to deal with also.
75
76 Those interested, I suggest you chip in, whether to spite ciaran
77 (good or bad reasons, doesn't matter, result does >:), or to get this
78 feature you want realized.
79 ~harring