From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:50:52
1 On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:39:49 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | So bluntly, shut up and let those who you think are being retarded,
4 | be retarded. Discussions on this list regarding those attempts
5 | shouldn't be heckled unless you're contributing to those efforts (and
6 | I truly mean *contributing*, not trying to punch holes in embryonic
7 | efforts that are trying to get off the ground addressing the major
8 | issues up front).
9
10 Pfff. By contributing to the design by showing what *won't* work, I'm
11 saving a heck of a lot of wasted man hours that will otherwise be spent
12 writing a non-working solution.
13
14 A contribution of code is worthless if the code is completely wrong, no
15 matter how much effort was spent producing it.
16
17 But then, we all know how this goes. When the code's 'done', it gets
18 merged, and then you start claiming "If you had any issues with it you
19 should have brought them up at the design stage. It's too late now!".
20 So really, it's a no win situation. Point out gaping design flaws at the
21 start and you're accused of shooting holes in things that don't exist
22 yet. Point out gaping design flaws when it's first merged and you're
23 accused of shooting holes in things upon which people have spent lots
24 of time. Point out gaping design flaws after it goes live and you're
25 told it's too late.
28 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
29 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
30 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm