From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Speeding up Tree Verification
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 18:18:41
1 On 6/30/20 10:29 AM, Sid Spry wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, at 9:34 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 6/29/20 7:15 PM, Sid Spry wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Sid Spry wrote:
5 >>>> Hello,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I have some runnable pseudocode outlining a faster tree verification algorithm.
8 >>>
9 >>> Ah, right. It's worth noting that even faster than this algorithm is simply verifying
10 >>> a .tar.xz. Is that totally off the table? I realize it doesn't fit every usecase, but it
11 >>> seems to be faster in both sync and verification time.
12 >>
13 >> We've already got support for that with sync-type = webrsync. However, I
14 >> imagine sync-type = git is even better. All of the types are covered here:
15 >>
16 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_Security
17 >
18 > I'm being warned right now that webrsync-gpg is being deprecated; I've been using
19 > it. It is, amazingly, faster than a typical rsync and may be faster than a git pull though.
20
21 Yeah webrsync-gpg is deprecated but the replacement is sync-type =
22 webrsync and verification is enabled by default for that sync-type.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac