From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Speeding up Tree Verification
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 17:30:23
1 On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, at 9:34 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 6/29/20 7:15 PM, Sid Spry wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Sid Spry wrote:
4 > >> Hello,
5 > >>
6 > >> I have some runnable pseudocode outlining a faster tree verification algorithm.
7 > >
8 > > Ah, right. It's worth noting that even faster than this algorithm is simply verifying
9 > > a .tar.xz. Is that totally off the table? I realize it doesn't fit every usecase, but it
10 > > seems to be faster in both sync and verification time.
11 >
12 > We've already got support for that with sync-type = webrsync. However, I
13 > imagine sync-type = git is even better. All of the types are covered here:
14 >
15 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_Security
16
17 I'm being warned right now that webrsync-gpg is being deprecated; I've been using
18 it. It is, amazingly, faster than a typical rsync and may be faster than a git pull though.
19
20 The issue with git is there are some analyses that indicate you shouldn't rely on git
21 for integrity, so you are back to verifying the tree on-disk, which is slower than
22 verifying the .tar.xz.
23
24 (To clarify: Even with signed commits the commit hashes could be attacked and this
25 is considered somewhat feasible.)