From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Atom matching behavior
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:47:01
1 On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:48:23 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > but I'd suspect that many
5 > > people share my original assumption and expect it to only match full
6 > > version components
7 >
8 > Hear a bit of screaming from it once every 4-6 months; personally, I
9 > interpret that as devs know which to use usually- additionally, once
10 > the (bluntly) hissy fit from the dev subsides, and they're reminded
11 > "yes it's annoying, but if you want it changed take it to dev to get
12 > consensus" folks promptly forget about it.
13 >
14 > Either they're silently working around it, or it's not that much of
15 > an issue (I suspect the latter, but am neutral towards the change).
16
17 Well, practically it's not a big issue as in 99% of all cases it works
18 like people expect.
19
20 > Should be discussed on -dev, not here imo; they're the ones affected
21 > by it (it's essentially their standard after all). Changing it?
22 > Sure, but it's a required eapi bump; portage chokes on .* now.
23 >
24 > I'd also not bump eapi just for one change; there is a boatload of
25 > other stuff that's waiting for an apt time to be pushed out together.
26
27 Sure going to sned this to -dev, just usually going for input from a
28 smaller audience first.
29 Haven't yet thought about details in case of changing it, first gonna
30 decide what the "correct" behavior is.
31
32 Marius
37 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
38 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.