From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Atom matching behavior
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:49:10
1 On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:42:23PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Was just brought to my attention that the =* operator doesn't work as I
3 > thought, as for example =foo-1.2* matches foo-1.20 as well as foo-1.2.3.
4 > This wouldn't be a bug problem if it could be used as a general glob
5 > operator like with =foo-1.2.*, but it's use is strictly limited to the
6 > above version (can only be used when a version component separator may
7 > appear), so atm there is no facility to reliably lock an atom at a
8 > specific version component when you have to account for multi-digit
9 > components.
10 > Now the question is if we want this glob-style behavior or not. From
11 > the code comments it seems to be intentional,
12
13 Intentional in the sense that it was originally implemented as a slice
14 comparison (likely due to that being far simpler then mangling older
15 versions of ver_cmp).
16
17 >=2.1 ver_cmp can be mangled easy enough now though.
18
19 > but I'd suspect that many
20 > people share my original assumption and expect it to only match full
21 > version components
22
23 Hear a bit of screaming from it once every 4-6 months; personally, I
24 interpret that as devs know which to use usually- additionally, once
25 the (bluntly) hissy fit from the dev subsides, and they're reminded
26 "yes it's annoying, but if you want it changed take it to dev to get
27 consensus" folks promptly forget about it.
28
29 Either they're silently working around it, or it's not that much of an
30 issue (I suspect the latter, but am neutral towards the change).
31
32 > (as that is the much more common use case). Doesn't
33 > help that the atom description in ebuild(5) doesn't specify the
34 > behavior for this case either,
35 >
36 > "* means match any version of the package so long as the specified
37 > base is matched"
38 >
39 > can be read both ways.
40 >
41 > Opinions?
42
43 Should be discussed on -dev, not here imo; they're the ones affected
44 by it (it's essentially their standard after all). Changing it?
45 Sure, but it's a required eapi bump; portage chokes on .* now.
46
47 I'd also not bump eapi just for one change; there is a boatload of
48 other stuff that's waiting for an apt time to be pushed out together.
49
50 ~harring