From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Atom matching behavior
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:56:01
1 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:42:23PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > Was just brought to my attention that the =* operator doesn't work
4 > > as I thought, as for example =foo-1.2* matches foo-1.20 as well as
5 > > foo-1.2.3.
6 <snip>
7 > > but I'd suspect that many people share my original assumption and
8 > > expect it to only match full version components
9 >
10 > Hear a bit of screaming from it once every 4-6 months; personally, I
11 > interpret that as devs know which to use usually- additionally, once
12 > the (bluntly) hissy fit from the dev subsides, and they're reminded
13 > "yes it's annoying, but if you want it changed take it to dev to get
14 > consensus" folks promptly forget about it.
15
16 You mean a consensus on -dev like the one regarding the Sunrise project?
17
18 > Either they're silently working around it, or it's not that much of an
19 > issue (I suspect the latter, but am neutral towards the change).
20
21 Or ignoring it because it's not worth the heartache. Or they feel it to
22 be more likely that their input will be rejected by devs who just don't
23 feel like working on it, but also don't want their babies touched by
24 foreign hands. See Bug #69343 and everything marked as a dupe against it
25 for a fine example of that mentality.
28 my other signature is witty