From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: Disabling "strip" in Emerge
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:30:22
1 At 2004-11-27T16:24:44-0800, Sorav Bansal <sbansal@××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > > On Nov 27 23:10, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > | Assuming you use portage for installation of your programs, set add
5 > > > | "nostrip" to your FEATURES variable in /etc/make.conf .
6 > > >
7 > > > ...which, sadly, usually won't work since most autotools-based things
8 > > > call install -s rather than install.
9 > >
10 > > Since he mentioned that he was debugging "his project", I assumed he
11 > > would know not to do such things if he wants unstripped, debuggable
12 > > programs. If that's not the case, or if he has no control over that
13 > > portion of the install, then no, it won't work.
16 > Thanks for your help. "My project" involves checking system rules on open
17 > source software (that means software distributed by gentoo).
18 >
19 > Hence, any project that calls install -s will be troublesome for me.
20 > Anyways, I really appreciate your help. In case you have any suggestions
21 > on how to get around the install -s problem, that would be great!
22
23 Looking around /usr/share/{aclocal,auto}* it looks to me that automake
24 tries to honor the ${STRIP} variable set by the user as the program used
25 to strip binaries. Somebody else suggested replacing /usr/bin/strip with
26 a link to `true`. You could export STRIP=/usr/bin/true into the build
27 environment for the same effect.
28
29 Actually, we may want to do this in Portage when "nostrip" is set.
32 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
33 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
34 --Ghost in the Shell