From: Sorav Bansal <sbansal@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: Disabling "strip" in Emerge
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:24:47
1 > On Nov 27 23:10, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > > | Assuming you use portage for installation of your programs, set add
3 > > | "nostrip" to your FEATURES variable in /etc/make.conf .
4 > >
5 > > ...which, sadly, usually won't work since most autotools-based things
6 > > call install -s rather than install.
7 >
8 > Since he mentioned that he was debugging "his project", I assumed he
9 > would know not to do such things if he wants unstripped, debuggable
10 > programs. If that's not the case, or if he has no control over that
11 > portion of the install, then no, it won't work.
14 Thanks for your help. "My project" involves checking system rules on open
15 source software (that means software distributed by gentoo).
16
17 Hence, any project that calls install -s will be troublesome for me.
18 Anyways, I really appreciate your help. In case you have any suggestions
19 on how to get around the install -s problem, that would be great!
20
21 Sorav
25 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list