From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [SoC] Idea for emerge
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:35:13
1 On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:10:13 +0100
2 Simon Lipp <simon.lipp@×××××××××.fr> wrote:
3 > [...]
4 > $ sudo emerge -vp --interactive-useflags liferea
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > Comments, questions and other are welcome ;)
8
9 Long standing policy is that emerge is non-interactive (--ask is just a
10 convenience feature to avoid duplicate dep resolution), and for things
11 like this a new tool should be created that can focus on user
12 interaction.
13 Besides that, I don't really want to think about the implications of
14 such a feature on backtracking, esp. regarding issues like bug 1343,
15 and I'd assume users might get rather confused to answer questions that
16 are then thrown away later. Another (relatively minor) problem is that
17 the flags set in such a session would have to be made persistent
18 somehow, and I wouldn't want emerge to mess with /etc/portage/package.*
19 files (that's a more generic problem though).
20 As for listing USE flag descriptions, there are already patches
21 floating around for that (at least TGL wrote one a while ago), and even
22 if not it would be hardly worth a complete SoC project by itself.
23
24 So, nice try, but no go (IMHO)
25
26 Marius
31 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
32 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.