From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: Refactoring of emerge code
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 09:25:42
1 m h posted <e36b84ee0605082138t6be6ef5fk254a5f5e843b5f41@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 08 May 2006 21:38:49 -0700:
3
4 > hat is the status of my patches? I'm assumming that they are
5 > rejected... I'm curious the know the reason. If the plan is to
6 > migrate to a new improved version of portage (sooner rather than
7 > later), then maybe I'll try to help out Brian with his efforts.
8
9 I wouldn't assume that at this point. You just provided them what, a
10 couple days ago, right?
11
12 On bug reports and the like, two weeks before a response isn't unusual.
13 You have a couple preliminary responses here already. I'd not even
14 /start/ to get antsy for two weeks, and wouldn't consider a "bump" request
15 for another week after that, anyway.
16
17 Also note that trunk is frozen. Bug fixes only until 2.1 is split off to
18 stabilize. I'd not expect the patches to get in until trunk thaws again,
19 for 2.2 or whatever. That means there's no immediate hurry on dealing
20 with the patches, and that most of the focus ATM is on bugfixes for 2.1,
21 in ordered to get the -rcs out and then the release, and get it tested and
22 fully stabilized for 2006.1, now set for July, which given a 30 day
23 stabilization means we need to get thru the -rcs and to release preferably
24 by June first or so. I do /not/ expect your patches to get into 2.1. You
25 are at least a week to 10 days too late for that.
26
27 The /good/ news is they are hoping to speed up the release process after
28 2.1 goes stable. I saw a two-month target between versions discussed, but
29 there was discussion of whether that would be practical, more like 90 day.
30 In any case, if they keep to the idea, and assuming your patches /are/
31 taken (as a user and mostly lurker, I have no say on it), they could
32 easily hit 2.2 and be stable by the end of the year if not late Q3 or
33 early Q4.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
39 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
43 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list