From: Dan Corson <dancor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] 'emerge' request: make --tree not imply --pretend
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:05:08
1 On 6/24/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dan Corson wrote:
4 > > Even when I am running 'emerge' non-interactively, I like to have the
5 > > dependency record afforded by --tree. Currently when updating my system
6 > > non-interactively to get this I have to do:
7 > > (emerge -uDtv world; emerge -uDv world) &> logfile
8 > > because --tree implies --pretend. Could this implication be dropped?
9 > > Thanks, --Dan
10 > > P.S. If this is a reasonable request, it might be reasonable for the
11 > > other options that imply --pretend that I don't use, namely --changelog
12 > > and --columns.
13 > > P.P.S. Even
14 > > echo y | emerge -auDtv world
15 > > doesn't work because --ask wants a terminal.
16 >
17 > Your request doesn't even make sense. AFAIK, the *only* thing --tree
18 > affects is
19 > the output of the package list as part of --pretend (and --ask). If --tree
20 > didn't imply --pretend, 'emerge -uDtv world' would give you the exact same
21 > output as 'emerge -uDv world'.
22 >
23 > --
24 > Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
25 > Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
26 > --
27 > gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list
30 I am sorry, you are indeed correct. What I should have requested is: a way
31 to have the package list output in non-interactive, package-installing (that
32 is, not --pretend) execution. It may be that --pretend is a little
33 over-loaded currently. (I was confused, at any rate, as you can see.)
34 Thanks, --Dan