From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The build system (and install layout) of Portage
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:58:00
1 On Thu, 2022-03-17 at 18:22 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > An alternative is to go back to using (at least partially) Makefiles or
3 > Meson. However, that would have the important drawback that we'd lose
4 > the ability to install Portage as a regular Python package (e.g. inside
5 > a virtualenv).
6
7 What is the use case for doing that? I thought maybe testing, but then you can
8 run Portage and its unit tests in-place without installing it at all right
9 now.