From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] coveted features
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:35:40
1 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:55:50PM +0100, Bart Lauwers wrote:
4
5 > [snip]
6
7 >> So let me rephrase that portage docs need to be complete and up to date at
8 >> all times (at least an english version, devs should know enough english).
9 >> Linking the documentation to the code is the only way I can see this happen.
10
11 > Creating documentation automatically always reduces the readability of the
12 > documentation. It all depends on who's the intended reader. If it is a
13 > developer (and *only* a developer) then creating documentation automatically
14 > might be suggesteable (although not official as there is no QA on it - don't
15 > dare send me bugreports on automatically created documentation :)
16
17 > If it also involves users, then sorry, I don't think this is a good
18 > idea.
19
20 Indeed, in my experience, documentation generated by Doxygen is very
21 rarely of decent quality. Provided that people are willing to write
22 documentation from time to time, ``hand-written'' documentation is
23 generally of higher quality. If you just want a function reference, it
24 works, but compare the documentation in linux/Documentation to the
25 garbage you might get if you were to generate Doxygen documentation from
26 it.
29 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
32 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list