From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: equery refactorization
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 04:54:40
1 On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:44:25 +0900
3 > "Douglas Anderson" <dja@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I also thought about renaming the "list(l)" option as "search",
6 >> because if you look at the help output, almost every module "lists"
7 >> something. equery's "list" is actually a search, I don't see why we
8 >> shouldn't name it that. I think maybe list was used because there were
9 >> already two "s" options, stats and size. Stats is not implemented so
10 >> I'm taking it out of help for now. Size can use the short "z", becaues
11 >> that's quite unique. That would free up "s" for search and it would be
12 >> a whole lot clearer.
13 >>
14 >> Yes? No?
15 >
16 > No. "search" (if used at all) should be reserved for a more
17 > comprehensive search framework (though IMO a separate tool for that is
18 > more appropriate), not just a simple name match. "list" makes sense if
19 > you consider that the pkgspec argument is optional, and one of the main
20 > tasks of it is to simply list the packages in the given repository
21 > (that's why vardb is also the default for it) without further filtering.
22 >
23 > Also one of the main goals of equery (according to karltk, the original
24 > author) was to have a stable user interface, compared to the deprecated
25 > qpkg and etcat scripts. And while the equery interface isn't exactly
26 > the best I've seen it has been stable, so you might want to think twice
27 > before renaming options and eventually pissing off users or breaking
28 > third-party scripts.
29 >
30 > Marius
33 $ equery list -h
34 List all packages matching a query pattern
35 Syntax:
36 list <local-opts> pkgspec
37 <local-opts> is either of:
38 -i, --installed - search installed packages (default)
39 -I, --exclude-installed - do not search installed packages
40 -p, --portage-tree - also search in portage tree (/usr/portage)
41 -o, --overlay-tree - also search in overlay tree
42 (/usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
43 /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
44 /usr/portage/local/layman/wschlich-testing
45 /usr/portage/local/layman/xwing /usr/portage/local/layman/genscripts
46 /usr/local/portage)
47 -f, --full-regex - query is a regular expression
48 -e, --exact-name - list only those packages that exactly match
49 -d, --duplicates - list only installed duplicate packages
50
51 That's an awful lot of "searching" there for something that's
52 definitely not a search. List is really ambiguous, but whatever.
53
54 I understand the point of having a stable interface, but this is
55 probably the most widely recommended tool on the forums and #gentoo.
56 Stability is not a good enough reason to let it bit rot. Wasn't a more
57 unified tool interface also one of the original goals of gentoolkit?
58
59 -Doug