From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] IUSE and userland_, elibc_, kernel_, etc.
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:21:48
1 On Sunday 04 November 2007, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Zac Medico wrote:
4 > > Hash: SHA1
5 > >
6 > > Mike Frysinger wrote:
7 > >> userland_* and all other profile-expanded USE flags are "magical" and
8 > >> arent available for user consumption. that is how i view IUSE. it was
9 > >> my understanding that portage was going to get fixed to automatically
10 > >> include the profile-expanded ones and so adding anything to IUSE now for
11 > >> ebuilds is dumb when they're just going to get turned around and
12 > >> removed. the same goes for all implicit/automatic USE expanding things.
13 > >> portage can do this for us, so having developers track it themselves
14 > >> seems like a waste of time. -mike
15 > >
16 > > Fair enough, but we need to define a way to "automatically include
17 > > the profile-expanded ones" since none currently exists. One thing
18 > > that I don't like about using USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN is that ARCH isn't a
19 > > USE_EXPAND. It would have been more consistent if it had been,
20 > > along with KERNEL, ELIBC, and USERLAND.
21 >
22 > Why not turn it into one? The whole USE="${ARCH}" thing is inconsistent
23 > with the USE_EXPANDed KERNEL, ELIBC, AND USERLAND. Yes, I know that it's
24 > been around a lot longer than the others, but that's not a good reason for
25 > keeping it the way it is.
26 >
27 > I don't think it would be a difficult transition. Is there any reason that
28 > portage can't set both USE=${ARCH} *and* USE=arch_${ARCH} for a while
29 > (until all ebuilds have been changed to use the new USE_EXPANDed form)? We
30 > could even just have portage set both forms indefinitely (the old form does
31 > no harm if nothing is using it).
32
33 an interesting line of thinking and quite logical ... i dont see any arguments
34 against it other than "it's always been this way" and considering the
35 advantages for everyone, i dont think that offsets the pros
36 -mike