From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] IUSE and userland_, elibc_, kernel_, etc.
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:23:30
1 Zac Medico wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 >> userland_* and all other profile-expanded USE flags are "magical" and arent
7 >> available for user consumption. that is how i view IUSE. it was my
8 >> understanding that portage was going to get fixed to automatically include
9 >> the profile-expanded ones and so adding anything to IUSE now for ebuilds is
10 >> dumb when they're just going to get turned around and removed. the same goes
11 >> for all implicit/automatic USE expanding things. portage can do this for us,
12 >> so having developers track it themselves seems like a waste of time.
13 >> -mike
14 >
15 > Fair enough, but we need to define a way to "automatically include
16 > the profile-expanded ones" since none currently exists. One thing
17 > that I don't like about using USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN is that ARCH isn't a
18 > USE_EXPAND. It would have been more consistent if it had been,
19 > along with KERNEL, ELIBC, and USERLAND.
20
21 Why not turn it into one? The whole USE="${ARCH}" thing is inconsistent with the
22 USE_EXPANDed KERNEL, ELIBC, AND USERLAND. Yes, I know that it's been around a
23 lot longer than the others, but that's not a good reason for keeping it the way
24 it is.
25
26 I don't think it would be a difficult transition. Is there any reason that
27 portage can't set both USE=${ARCH} *and* USE=arch_${ARCH} for a while (until all
28 ebuilds have been changed to use the new USE_EXPANDed form)? We could even just
29 have portage set both forms indefinitely (the old form does no harm if nothing
30 is using it).
33 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
34 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
35 --
36 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list