From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, "michael.lienhardt" <michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] erroneous behavior in 2-style USE dependencies?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 21:31:48
1 On 6/16/20 11:43 AM, michael.lienhardt wrote:
2 > ‌Dear all,
3 >
4 > My bad for not noticing it sooner, but when there is a dependency like
5 > ">=sys-fs/udev-208-r1:0/0[static-libs?]" (that occurs in
6 > virtual/libgudev-215-r3), since 'static-libs' is not a use flags of
7 > sys-fs/udev-242, it is silently not considered during dependency solving
8 > by emerge.
9 > However, the PMS states:
10 >  - it is an error for a use dependency to be applied to an ebuild which
11 > does not have the flag in question in IUSE_REFERENCEABLE
12 >  - For EAPIs listed in table 5.4
13 > <https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html#x1-56001r4> as not
14 > supporting profile defined IUSE injection, IUSE_REFERENCEABLE is equal
15 > to the calculated IUSE value. For EAPIs where profile defined IUSE
16 > injection is supported, IUSE_REFERENCEABLE is equal to IUSE_EFFECTIVE
17 > And 'static-libs' is not in the IUSE_EFFECTIVE of sys-fs/udev-242 (that
18 > ebuild has EAPI=6).
19 > So it seems to me that this current behavior of emerge should be
20 > considered an error, no? Or the PMS should be updated?
21
22 It's valid as a 4-style dependency with use-dep-defaults.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac