From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:33:50
1 On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 10:18:56PM -0500, Ed Grimm wrote:
2 > My issue is: Gentoo's patch system does not take current state into
3 > account in any appropriate manner. This means that any file in /etc
4 > which I have made changes will be updated improperly; I'll therefore
5 > need to either throw out new changes or adapt them to my changes every
6 > time Gentoo considers updating them.
7
8 I don't think it's possible to magically update configuration files that you
9 have altered and be able to tell you that the updated configuration file
10 still is 100% functional.
11
12 It is possible if we only support a subset of configuration parameters,
13 store them elsewhere and merge those with a script in the updated
14 configuration file. Some distributions use this method, and it is a major
15 annoyance.
16
17 > As an example, I'm not using the standard Gentoo partition layout. This
18 > means that, every so often, Gentoo tries to "fix" my fstab.
19
20 Ignore the update. There is no reason why you should update your /etc/fstab;
21 unless you alter filesystems or partition layouts, /etc/fstab is static.
22
23 > Other files which tend to be incredibly frustrating are basic config
24 > files. For example, /etc/etc-update.conf. Every time an upgrade
25 > decides it wants to check on the status of this file, it decides that,
26 > on the whole, I was mistaken regarding my choice of difference viewer,
27 > and the various other options I specified.
28
29 You can interactively merge the changes. Most of the time, you can easily
30 skim through the changes it proposes and decide that there is no need to
31 merge them.
32
33 Wkr,
34 Sven Vermeulen