From: andrea ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Conary
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:30:16
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 10:18:56PM -0500, Ed Grimm wrote:
3 >
4 >>My issue is: Gentoo's patch system does not take current state into
5 >>account in any appropriate manner. This means that any file in /etc
6 >>which I have made changes will be updated improperly; I'll therefore
7 >>need to either throw out new changes or adapt them to my changes every
8 >>time Gentoo considers updating them.
11 > I don't think it's possible to magically update configuration files that you
12 > have altered and be able to tell you that the updated configuration file
13 > still is 100% functional.
14
15 100% maybe not, but actually the gentoo way is 0% and maybe between 0
16 and 100 there are some other figures ;-)
17
18 >>As an example, I'm not using the standard Gentoo partition layout. This
19 >>means that, every so often, Gentoo tries to "fix" my fstab.
22 > Ignore the update. There is no reason why you should update your /etc/fstab;
23 > unless you alter filesystems or partition layouts, /etc/fstab is static.
24
25 I did that most times, but why I have to do it?!
26 To avoid such annoyance it's not needed AI or grid computing, it's
27 enough Animal Intelligence ;-) anyway Scriptable Intelligence.
28
29 >>Other files which tend to be incredibly frustrating are basic config
30 >>files. For example, /etc/etc-update.conf. Every time an upgrade
31 >>decides it wants to check on the status of this file, it decides that,
32 >>on the whole, I was mistaken regarding my choice of difference viewer,
33 >>and the various other options I specified.
36 > You can interactively merge the changes. Most of the time, you can easily
37 > skim through the changes it proposes and decide that there is no need to
38 > merge them.
39
40 As said, but why I have to do that if most times it could be avoided by
41 means of a kind script?
42
43 Andrea
46 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list