From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Add a couple new warnings to QA check
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:25:46
1 On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:05:35 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'd like to add two warnings to the QA GCC warning message reporter
5 > for GCC 4.2.
6
7 I think it would be useful if the set of warnings could be customisable
8 outside of portage (in particular, to render it independent of portage
9 revisions). I'm thinking of a profile file - which could also then be
10 different for different profiles.
11
12 Also worth noting; if you stick '-Wall' in CFLAGS, in my experience
13 something like 1 in 5-6 packages fail as a result (on a recent world
14 rebuild, 224 out of 1273). It's a much higher rate than any of the
15 other QA checks, and it makes it hard to see the wood for the
16 trees - it also means it's impractical to set FEATURES=stricter.
17
18 To this end it would also be useful if the QA notices were _all_ sent to
19 the elog report; the "Files were installed with user/group portage" one
20 is, but I don't think any of the others are.
21
22 My time is rather limited to do anything about it for a month or two,
23 but I thought I'd throw this into the melting pot for thought at least.
26 Kevin F. Quinn