From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Dynamic USE dependencies
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 18:03:05
1 On 3 April 2015 at 06:32, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Why is this necessary? If a USE flag changes, just rebuild the
4 > application.
8 Isn't the nature of your proposal,( that is, dynamic deps for USE flags )
9 inherently "Use flags change, _dont_ rebuild the application" ? :)
10
11 It may help to think in terms of : Any ebuild without IUSE="foo" , once
12 installed, actually has a property of USE_foo=undef
13
14 Once an ebuild has IUSE="foo", the installed package then can subsequently
15 get
16
17 USE_foo=y
18 USE_foo=n
21 So under that logic, adding a new IUSE implies "Use flag changes" ( either
22 from state undef to y , or state undef to n ).
23
24 We have mechanisms for other ebuilds to declare what USE_foo=undef means in
25 dependency defaults:
26
27 >=X[foo(+)] # Assume USE_foo = undef to mean USE_foo = y
28 >=X[foo(-)] # Assume USE_foo = undef to mean USE_foo = n
29
30 There's just no mechanism similar to that for an ebuild with CVS revision
31 02 to declare what USE_foo = undef meant on ebuild with CVS revision 01
34 Nor is there a way to express what USE_foo=undef meant on X<$PV
38 ( And subsequently, there is no user visible way /in portage/ for portage
39 to express the meaning of a new USE flag becoming visible )
40
41 So I'm basically having trouble with groking the logic you're proposing of
42 "add a new use flag" -> "implied change of useflag" -> "rebuild when
43 useflags change" -> "but don't rebuild for this useflag change using some
44 kind of magic"
45
46 ( Mostly due to the implied-change via addition I can't seem to ignore )
50 Kent
51
52 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL