From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] custom profiles?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:43:39
1 On 03/11/2015 01:16 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 10:56 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 03/11/2015 08:48 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, 2015-03-08 at 11:58 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
5 >>>> On 03/08/2015 10:01 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
6 >>>>> On Sun, 2015-03-08 at 15:47 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
7 >>>>>>
8 >>>>>> package.use/package.use.force is a bit different though:
9 >>>>>> cat /etc/portage/package.use/qemu
10 >>>>>> app-emulation/qemu vde -alsa -pulseaudio -bluetooth -opengl qemu_user_targets_x86_64 xattr virtfs
11 >>>>>> static-
12 >>>>>> user
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>>> #Needed by static-user
15 >>>>>> sys-libs/zlib static-libs
16 >>>>>> dev-libs/glib static-libs
17 >>>>>> sys-apps/attr static-libs
18 >>>>>>
19 >>>>>> Moving this to package.use/package.use.force does not respect -alsa, -pulseaudio, -opengl all
20 >>>>>> flags which has a - on them, emerge wants to turn them on again.
21 >>>>>>
22 >>>>>> Am I missing something?
23 >>>>>> Using portage 2.2.18
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>> Appears one have to use package.use.mask for that.
26 >>>>> cat package.use.mask
27 >>>>> app-emulation/qemu alsa pulseaudio bluetooth opengl
28 >>>>> It would be handy if one could use the same syntax as in /etc/portage/package.use/qemu(-alsa -opengl
29 >>>>> etc.)
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> Jocke
32 >>>>>
33 >>>>
34 >>>> Yes, the inverted use.mask logic can be confusing if you are not familiar with it. The negative flags
35 >>>> have a
36 >>>> special meaning within the context of of portage's "incremental stacking" behavior, so they can still
37 >>>> be
38 >>>> useful, though not in the same way that you you attempted to use them.
39 >>>
40 >>>
41 >>> So now I got to binary pkgs and profiles, the profile is typically part of ebuild src tree/overlay
42 >>> and a system using only binary pkgs does not need ebuild sources. How does one manage profiles
43 >>> is this case?
44 >>> Just sync an empty /usr/portage tree(sans profile) or is the a better way?
45 >>
46 >> Recent portage has emerge --sync --sync-submodule=profile, which might be useful. I would like to work
47 >> toward handling this case better, so your feedback is welcome.
48 >
49 > That would the same as pointing portage to your own empty tree(sans profile). I was hoping for
50 > something connected to your BINHOST so one can get all in one go and stored in the same directory
51 > tree.
52
53 Yeah, I'll have to think about that. Maybe we could include a profile
54 URI in the header of the Packages file.
57 >>>
58 >>> Jocke
59 >>>
60 >>> PS.
61 >>> emerge --depclean refuses to clean a system which is lagging behind, would it be possible for
62 >>> --depclean to go ahead anyway somehow? --dynamic-deps=n comes to mind.
63 >>
64 >> You should probably put --dynamic-deps=n in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, since this option
65 >> typically causes these kinds of problems with --depclean. You don't need --dynamic-deps if you use --
66 >> changed-deps when updating.
67 >
68 > If I do --dynamic-deps=n then man emerge suggest to also do fixpackages(I guess after every SYNC)
69 > which feels a bit heavy, is this still needed?
70
71 Not really, because package moves are applied automatically after each
72 emerge --sync. This happens unconditionally since FEATURES=fixpackages
73 was removed [1], unless you use the emerge --package-moves=n option, in
74 which case we assume that you will manage the consequences yourself.
75
76 > Why is --dynamic-deps=y default? This feels like lying about your true deps, I am probably missing
77 > something here, an example would be great:)
78
79 It's a legacy behavior, since portage has always behaved this way, and
80 ebuild developers have relied upon it (resulting in broken dependency
81 calculations without it).
82
83 > Will --depclean with --dynamic-deps=n always succeed? I realize that it could be dangerous but
84 > sometimes would like to have the option.
85
86 For the most part, yes. However, you may need to use --with-bdeps=y for
87 updates, in order to avoid dependency breakage for build-time-only
88 dependencies.
89
90 > BTW, this text is hard to parse:
91 > --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
92 > Tells emerge to ignore binary packages for which the corresponding ebuild depen‐
93 > dencies have changed since the packages were built. In order to help avoid issues
94 > with resolving inconsistent dependencies, this option is automatically enabled
95 > unless the --usepkgonly option is enabled. Behavior with respect to changed
96 > build-time dependencies is controlled by the --with-bdeps option.
97 >
98 > --binpkg-changed-deps=y -> Ignore bin pkgs with changed deps?
99
100 Yeah, well it's not always easy to translate what the code does into
101 human language.
102
103 [1]
104 https://github.com/gentoo/portage/commit/7ab4d5722a828167dd1bf946b26cfa80808f59fc