From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: portage-ng roadmap?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:49:55
1 > You're right, they probably don't. My system will be quite modular and I image
2 > a new tree, maybe I'll implement it in the initial release. One concept I'm
3 > thinking about is something I call xpack (where xbuild is the extension of
4 > ebuilds that should be guaranteed to work with the new parser). This basically
5 > is a text based packaging format (like tar, but actually diffeable), that
6 > would contain all parts needed for an ebuild (source is optional). Such a file
7 > would make things a lot easier to manage and to download on demand.
8
9 Totally agree. You can also force a validating commit with cvs : any
10 commit would have to pass QA test (parsing) to be really commited.
11 But, please consider not using rsync anymore. It's too slow for 85 000
12 files :(
13 as previously discuss, subversion would be great. The best way is maybe
14 the debian way : Put all xbuilds in a single tar file that would
15 downloaded when "emerge update" (example).
16
17 > While my main focus will not be on ondemand downloading of xpacks (ebuilds is
18 > pointless) it should be fairly trivial to generate metadata files for the
19 > packages contained, maybe even on a category level. The transfer size could
20 > still be sizeable though. I believe that introduction of xpack files
21 > containing everything needed for an ebuild (except the manifest and
22 > metadata.xml) allready reduces the amount of files in the tree enormously. It
23 > also helps in being able to easilly remove unused patches ;-).
24
25 I like this new portage :)
26 So these xbuilds are not needed on end-users computers. They are only
27 needed to generate the dependance tree.
28
29 If you need any help on this, please email me.
30
31 Philippe
34 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list