From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-qa] splitting up package.mask
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:44:23
1 On Saturday 15 March 2008, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On 3/14/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Friday 14 March 2008, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > > On 3/14/08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > > On Thursday 13 March 2008, Steve Dibb wrote:
6 > > > > > Because package.mask in CVS for profiles is so huge, I think it
7 > > > > > might help it to get organized if we split it up a bit.
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > halcyon had a good idea for the scheme: testing, broken, removal.
10 > > > > > That seems to sum up the main 3 reason that a package would be
11 > > > > > masked.
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > Right now there are 679 entries in package.mask. The reason I
14 > > > > > came up with the idea was to find a way to make it easier for
15 > > > > > treecleaners to quickly see which ones they were working on.
16 > > > > >
17 > > > > > I'd like to take the discussion to -dev but wanted to get QA's
18 > > > > > thoughts first. I haven't looked into whether or not this is
19 > > > > > technically feasible at all.
20 > > > >
21 > > > > i think the real solution here is allowing masking in a package
22 > > >
23 > > > You want to add a metadata key and cache it you mean?
24 > >
25 > > i dont care terribly much about the logistics, just the results. as long
26 > > as an ebuild can declare itself masked, it sounds good to me.
27 > >
28 > > this doesnt preclude the other ideas as there are often times where you
29 > > want to have 1 global package mask piece (like large package set bumps
30 > > ... so X or KDE or GNOME or ...).
31 >
32 > [-gentoo-qa, +gentoo-portage-dev]
33 >
34 > Original thread was splitting up package.mask entries.
35 >
36 > Genone notes the code to do this already is basically in already (we
37 > just don't invoke it for $PORTDIR/profiles afaik).
38 >
39 > Genone, do we use existing code for package.mask (ie if we switch from
40 > a file to a dir will it break existing versions? I am unsure if we
41 > used the directory code for $PORTDIR/profiles/*
42 >
43 > If we do then I say that is the easiest method.
44 >
45 > MIke also mentioned a means for a single ebuild to mark itself masked.
46 >
47 > I think this is useless without the use of a metadata key and I'm
48 > still not sold on its usefullness....I could easily buy some sort of
49 > bash var that is read by a tool to generate package.mask entries
50 > though. Seems fragile though.
51
52 i dont see it being any different from an ebuild declaring its own KEYWORDS.
53 if you want to be lazy, then have a magic KEYWORD: +pmask.
54 -mike