From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: tools-portage packages
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:06:05
1 Brian Dolbec posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:59:08 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > If your scripts are python based instead of bash based. Like most
4 > everything I get working on, I've modularized all the code, so it has a
5 > good usable/import-able api for embedding into other scripts. No need
6 > to parse output.
7
8 Bash based. I keep thinking I'll learn python one of these days, but
9 never seem to get the properly curved tuit. =:^\
10
11 But many are trivial front-ends anyway:
12
13 $ cat `which ehome`
14 #!/bin/bash
15 # esearch, output package and homepage only
16
17 exec esearch -o%p\\n%h\\n\\n $*
21 FWIW I've a whole slew of emerge front-ends too, ea* for emerge --ask, ep*
22 for emerge --pretend. Example: eas for emerge --ask @system (it also
23 feeds --update --deep --newuse --jobs=X --load-average=Y to it). And I
24 extended gentoo's bash-completion scripts and reapplied them, so I still
25 get tab-completion for package names, etc. I just don't have to feed in
26 the long string of options I'd normally need to get the intended effect;
27 they're all 2-4 letter commands starting with ea or ep, so tab-
28 completable on their own. =:^)
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman