From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: tools-portage packages
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:07:05
1 On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 02:42 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Alec Warner posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:18:53 +0200 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > >> * app-portage/esearch [gentoo]
5 > >> None specified
6 > >
7 > > I used to maintain this; but I don't see a compelling reason to use it
8 > > over eix, so I recommend removal.
9 >
10 > FWIW, I use esearch (heh, just looked up eix with it). I have it
11 > embedded in my update script as well, to update its database, and have a
12 > few front-ends for it (ehome being the most used), which return just the
13 > specified data.
14 >
15 > So switching to eix if esearch is treecleaned wouldn't be entirely
16 > painless, but it shouldn't be overly painful, either.
19 Don't worry, It's not getting treecleaned. Especially after we just did
20 a bunch of work on it to bring it up to date. Fuzzyray prefers it over
21 eix for one. And is why it was updated. Personally I don't use it
22 much, I tend to use porthole for searching. Even though I have eix
23 installed, I rarely use it, just usually for some testing.
24
25 If your scripts are python based instead of bash based. Like most
26 everything I get working on, I've modularized all the code, so it has a
27 good usable/import-able api for embedding into other scripts. No need
28 to parse output. I also added layman syncing to it, both by importing
29 my new layman api or by subprocessing it for older layman versions.
32 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>