From: Leno Hou <lenohou@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-powerpc@l.g.o, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>, grub-dev@×××.org, houqy@××××××××××××××.com, shjq@××××××.com, kevinzs@××××××××××××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-powerpc] Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduce ppc64le architecture into gentoo ! please share your comments
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:53:10
1 *Leno Hou*
2 E-mail : lenohou@×××××.com
3 Phone : 185-0093-5995
4
5 On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Leno Hou <lenohou@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > This is a great pleasure to announce that we've made ppc64le stage 3.
8 >
9 > 1. We've successfully compiled stage 3 for ppc64le. The stage 3 covers
10 > most useful functionalities:
11 >
12 > - GNU tool chains. e.g. automake, autoconf, gcc & glibc.
13 > - Normally use Portage, e.g. emerge, ebuild & python
14 > - Normally chroot in this stage 3.
15 > - Not included linux kernel & bootloader yet.
16 >
17 > 2. We believe to make Gentoo support ppc64le, we still need to compile
18 > kernel and bootloader
19 >
20 > - Which version of kernel provided by Gentoo would you suggest us to
21 > use?
22 >
23 > As to Ubuntu, there will be many patches to make the kernel
24 > workable, so how to patch
25 > our Gentoo kernel to make it work for ppc64le?
26 >
27 > - Which version of grub suitable for ppc64le ? Is there any patches
28 > to ppc64le grub ?
29 >
30 > When I building grub, it happens
31 https://bpaste.net/show/732172bfe927 .
32 CC: grub-dev community , could you give me a hand with ppc64le
33 grub ?
34 Or the latest grub merged ppc64le patches ?
37 > 3. When the gentoo we make out workable on ppc64le, we would like to know
38 > the process of
39 > making it officially supported by Gentoo community
40 >
41 > - For each arch, do we have a subteam to verify the packages? If so,
42 > how to reach these guys?
43 >
44 > ppc64le are inherit from ppc64 profile. Is that say we should
45 push this portage contains ppc64le
46 profile. And provides this stage 3 made by catalyst ?
47 What my mean is, I known arm64 ( aarch64 ?) was merged to
48 portage, Could you let me know the
49 process of ppc64le as same as arm64 supported by Gentoo community
50 ?
53 > - For hardware environment, does anyone have Power8 systems ?
54 >
55 > If someone have POWER8 OR POWER 7 systems, it would be nice If
56 you'll join this project.
57
58 -Leno Hou
59 >